Wednesday, October 10, 2012

DAY "RUH-ROH!":  Home, James

Trouble in paradise, dudes!  The Home, James crew is totally sick.  Like, all of us.  Well, not all of us, exactly.  Our director and I seem to have skirted the mystery disease somehow.  Probably because we're both more machine than human.  Or, in my case, prescription steroids!  (Oh, sad to report that I didn't wake up this morning built like The Incredible Hulk...but if it does happen at some point I hope it's the super smart gray Hulk and not the dumb green one.  Until that happens I guess I'll still have to rely on smashing things with my amazing intellect.)  While I feel badly for everyone, I can't help but find it amusing that they got sick on the night we shot the "Barfing Man" scenes.  Anyway, some sort of third world-like dysentery has bitch smacked this production and it is NOT COOL, yo.

The classy way to drink Pepto...



I'm seriously going to try and focus on the film today and not go off on any insane tangents.  Let's see how that goes...

OH NO, IT'S THE COPS!

We all know that stealing is wrong and somewhat illegal (unless it's me stealing your heart, which is totally sanctioned by the Federal Government.)  Well, there is a term in filmmaking called "stealing a shot."  And while it would make total sense to assume that means copying a shot from another movie, you're dumb if you think that.  Just kidding.  You're all super geniuses and that's why I love you.  What it actually means, though, is that you failed to, didn't bother to, or just plain forgot to get permission to shoot a location.  So, for instance, if you're shooting exteriors on a residential street you're technically supposed to clear it with the city and the police.  That's what super-producer George Clooney would do, but he's a total pussy and is scared of mustached men with badges.  We here at Home, James, on the other hand, hate the police and think they can go stuff it.  We don't play by your rules, society!  Which is exactly why we had the police called on us last night while shooting on a residential street that we didn't bother to clear.  We had actually decided to move to a different location when the production van (Super Su, Kali and I) got pulled over.  Now here's the funny part:  If you're ever acting in anything and have a wireless mic on you, don't forget that the sound guy can hear every word you say, even at up to a football field length away (assuming you're using Lectrosonics...if you're not, you're fired!)  On top of that, there's no way I wasn't going to roll sound on us getting pulled over for prosperity's sake.  Here is an actual quote that was picked up from Jonathan's lapel mic (I'm not sure who said it, as he was in close proximity to other people) during our brief encounter with the police:  "Maybe he pulled them over because George (Super Su) is Asian."  Hilarious!  Anyway, the cop was a pretty typical cop, so we just slipped him some money and he forgot all about us.



During a shot a little later in the evening I had the pleasant experience of standing on a dark street corner a block away from the rest of the crew so I could capture the audio of our actors as they drove by in a car.  Trust me, the math works out on the wireless range front, which is why I had to be there.  Anyway, as I stood on the dark corner, with my gear lighting me up like an evil Christmas tree, I became aware that I somehow caught the attention of the Hound of the Baskervilles.  I mean, this dog was HUGE.  And he was growling directly at me.  Or so I thought.  As it turns out, he was actually growling at a bunny that had taken up protective residence under my feet.  He was cute, but couldn't have been the smartest bunny in the world if he thought the best place to hide was under a guy in a red, reflective jacket with six-thousand flashing LED lights on him.  Actually, now that I think of it, if I was being threatened I would probably try to hide behind a robot, too.  Maybe bunny wasn't so dumb after all.

Here's a pic of some of the crew at Dwelling Spaces after our shoot the other night.  Front and center is Dwelling Spaces owner/Home, James cast member/all around swell person, Mary Beth.


From left to right: Hollywood Dacey, some dude, Julie, Jonathan, Cary, Mary Beth, Super Su, Mary Mary Why You Buggin', Teresa.

Other big news: It's starting to look like the post production sound mix will be happening at The Drawing Room in Kingston, NY with my good friend and total renaissance man, Justin Rice.  Justin and I have worked together on a lot of different projects over the years and I seriously hope this pans out so we can hang out in our pajamas drinking coffee every morning before work, which is something we haven't gotten to do in a long time.  I'll keep you posted on this awesomely stoke-inducing prospect.  BTW, go check out the new band he and his wife, Darby, started:  The Last Names

Lastly, I have a new favorite pastime on set: photo bombing the wardrobe continuity pictures.  I'm sure no one is getting sick of me yet.

Good night, and fuck you, Clooney.


No comments:

Post a Comment